cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

SOLVED
Frequent Contributor

First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

At random the 2 detectors drop connection to hub. Sometimes it is 1 and sometimes it is both. They do always re-connect. At most the detectors have a smart plug within 10' and no more than another 15' to the next smart plug. The hops from plug to plug are either going through 1 drywall wall or a wood floor.  What are the specs for these smart plugs as far as penetrating walls and distance ranges? I have 13 devices online at present with no problems other than the smoke detectors dropping connection.  To keep adding smart plugs gets a little expensive! Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.  I should add 1 detector is on the 2nd floor and 1 is in the basement.  Thanks

10 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: First Alert smoke alarm and co dropping connection

Update - since initial question i have installed additional smart plugs. I now have a total of 6 smart plugs to improve signal. I have 1 on the top floor where hub is located along with 3 on the main floor and 2 in the basement. I have played around with spacing and locations. While things have improved I would hardly say the smoke/co detectors are reliable from a remote monitoring stand point. I saw someone posted that the only other type of smoke detector that was approved is no longer being made so it looks like we are stuck with a mediocre product for the time being. This is really a shame as I have IRIS installed at 2 properties and was looking to add more but at the cost it is just not worth the gamble if they will work or not.

Advanced Member

Hmmm.... I have a bunch of these that I've had for years and I have never had any connectivity issues with any of them.

IMG_2340.JPG

A strong Z-wave network makes a huge difference in keeping your devices connected.

Frequent Contributor

Hmmm... With all due respect I could take a screen shot when all is good. The problem is there are 2500 views between my post and one from a year ago so I doubt I'm the only one with the issue. I have a 2100 sq ft house with 6 smart plugs plus the hub. There should be no problem with z-wave signal reaching devices. I have even flipped devices with no better results. I have rebuilt the network more times than I would like to think should be needed.  I was hoping for a little help and not a screen shot and z-wave comment  2 1/2 months after I asked the question. And then to wait until I close the post!! C'mon man, thats amatuer hour!! Be helpful and constructive or be silent!! Thats what this boards for. :smileyvery-happy:

Tinkerer

I had the First Alert smoke/co device as well and could never get it to maintain connection, even after calling support.  I have a small home and the hub and detector were only 25 to 30 feet away, with one smart plug.  I finally gave up and went with the smoke detector alone.  It works great.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the info. I probably should have started with one of each type  but I really liked the CO feature so I started with 2 of the combo units. I'm looking to add some at a home 60 miles away and really need dependability from a monitoring stand point. I really have been happy with the other features of the system as I have it at both places for both security and HA. Thanks for your input!! 

Advanced Member

@Augie20 wrote:

Hmmm... With all due respect I could take a screen shot when all is good. The problem is there are 2500 views between my post and one from a year ago so I doubt I'm the only one with the issue. I have a 2100 sq ft house with 6 smart plugs plus the hub. There should be no problem with z-wave signal reaching devices. I have even flipped devices with no better results. I have rebuilt the network more times than I would like to think should be needed.  I was hoping for a little help and not a screen shot and z-wave comment  2 1/2 months after I asked the question. And then to wait until I close the post!! C'mon man, thats amatuer hour!! Be helpful and constructive or be silent!! Thats what this boards for. :smileyvery-happy:

Good luck resolving your issues!

Advanced Member

@Augie20 wrote:

Many here read every new post so the number of views doesn't mean most of those people have the same issue.  Do you have any other z-wave devices that plug in other than the SmartPlugs?  If so its possible one of those devices is having issues and the devices your noticing route through that device.

Primary Platform: iOS phone @ latest version
Secondary Platform: Android 6.0 tablet
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Terk. While I don't have any other non Iris z-wave items you got me thinking. Here is what I did and it has been almost 3 weeks and no disconnects. I went and pulled all my smart plugs from outlets. I then made sure all smoke detectors and other battery devices were connected to system. I then did a z-wave rebuild. I then started adding smart plugs 1 at a time back into original outlets starting with the center of the house points and did a z-wave rebuild after each install. I figured by doing this I gave my most troublesome detector (basement) a 1 or 2 hop route back to hub. As I added more smart plugs to perimeter of house it should give multiple 2 or 3 hop routes back. So getting back to your post,  maybe I had a flakey signal from one of the smart plugs messing up the z-wave network and a TOTAL rebuild versus just moving a plug here and there did the trick. 

Frequent Contributor

This may not help in your case but I was having similar issues with my CT101 thermostats (I have 5 of them) and my SA/CO2 disconnecting (7 of them).  I have read some conflicting information that the first generation range extenders cause problems so as an experiment I removed all of my first generation range extenders and it did improve connectivity.  It is not perfect but I went from 2-3 drops a week to 1 or 2 a month.  Again not perfect but much better.