cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GE PRODUCTS some uncertified

Advanced Member

Re: GE PRODUCTS some uncertified

@sfink16wrote:

This is odd since I've read a review on Amazon for the GE Link Smart LED Light Bulb, A19 Soft White, albeit conflicting with another person.  Here is the LINK to that review.  Anyway., I was considering buying one of these for my ceiling fan that has placement for 4 bulbs.  Is it OK to buy one bulb, and leave 3 other non-smart dimmer bulbs in,  or do I hav to buy all 4?

@That review is a few years old.  I have 5 of these and as @Mike pointed out they are not supported.  They will pair and work to an extent, but are known to cause interference with other devices on your system.  I would not invest in these at this time.

Tinkerer

@Vettesterwrote:

@sfink16wrote:

This is odd since I've read a review on Amazon for the GE Link Smart LED Light Bulb, A19 Soft White, albeit conflicting with another person.  Here is the LINK to that review.  Anyway., I was considering buying one of these for my ceiling fan that has placement for 4 bulbs.  Is it OK to buy one bulb, and leave 3 other non-smart dimmer bulbs in,  or do I hav to buy all 4?

@That review is a few years old.  I have 5 of these and as @Mike pointed out they are not supported.  They will pair and work to an extent, but are known to cause interference with other devices on your system.  I would not invest in these at this time.

I was considering the worst case scenario is that I can control them with my phone, or Alexa if at home.  If I was to try them un-paired to the Iris hub, can I just try one in the 4 light fixture fan to see if they work that way?

Advanced Member

It will cause problems if it is anywhere on your system.  You would be better off using a supported bulb like this one.  The other thing to keep in mind is that connected bulbs require that the power be on all the time so you would have to leave the switch to your fan on constantly.  WIth this said you can not add just one smart bulb to a four light fixture.  To get this to work correctly you would have to replace all four bulbs.  You may want to consider just adding a smart switch.

Tinkerer

@Vettesterwrote:

It will cause problems if it is anywhere on your system.  You would be better off using a supported bulb like this one.  The other thing to keep in mind is that connected bulbs require that the power be on all the time so you would have to leave the switch to your fan on constantly.  WIth this said you can not add just one smart bulb to a four light fixture.  To get this to work correctly you would have to replace a four bulbs.  You may want to consider just adding a smart switch.

Thanks for the valuable info! 

I already bought a switch and tried to get an electrician to replace the living room ceiling fan.  Unfortunately it was too costly in the current setup due to big complications in the original attic setup.  I had him install it in my mancave instead and it works fine.

I might try four of the bulb you mention.

Tinkerer

@Vettesterwrote:

It will cause problems if it is anywhere on your system.  You would be better off using a supported bulb like this one.  The other thing to keep in mind is that connected bulbs require that the power be on all the time so you would have to leave the switch to your fan on constantly.  WIth this said you can not add just one smart bulb to a four light fixture.  To get this to work correctly you would have to replace all four bulbs.  You may want to consider just adding a smart switch.

OK, I bought those bulbs you suggested.  They barely fit in the ceiling fan enclosures as the flood light light design makes them very wide away the further away from the light the socket.  The buzzing drove me crazy so I looked up the cause and found that the dimmer switch (not Iris) was causing the problem.  I replaced the dimmer switch with a single pole switch and everything worked fine with no more buzzing.

Rookie

I have 5 GE Link bulbs on my Iris network - they have worked perfectly for years.  When I have a power failure I sometimes have to remove and repair one of them (that is a far distance from hub) back to the network.  I love them - great light and I got most of them on sale a while back.

Advanced Member

I have 5 of these as well and even though they worked well on V1 they have been real spotty at best on V2.  If I leave them connected for an extended period of time they always end up causing connectivity issues with other devices.

http://forum.livingwithiris.com/topic/1974-ge-link-bulb-will-be-officially-supported/

Advanced Member

I can add that the GE issue is not just a Iris issue.  I have switched mostly to SmrtThings and the GE LInk bulbs caused issues on my Smartthings systems as well.  I finally gave up on them and I have about 5 of the things stuck in a drawer somewhere.