cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gotta be honest here...

Gotta be honest here...

Guys, firstly, let me say that the two Iris plugs I bought were the VERY FIRST IoT Smart Home devices I bought after I got my first Alexa.  And, they have been great, and work rock solidly.  However, since I have progressed on my Smart Home journey, I have come to realize that they are extremely deficient in a particular area.

I now have about 65 devices on my home network, with at least 3/4's of those participating in my Smart Home.  To agregate control of these devices, I use something called Home Assistant, which is an open source platform that talks to (as of today) over 1070 different kinds of devices.  Lowes Iris switches are not one of them.  Granted there are a few other devices which I own that do not directly talk to Home Assistant, but what they DO talk to is either IFTTT or Wink Hub, both of which I use.  And as long as they talk to one of those two (which is everything else I own), I am good, in that I can control those devices through Home Assistant.  Just to explain briefly why Home Assistant is important, I can do the following using it, for example:  IF it is a weekday, and IF it is after 7:00 pm AND before 6:00 am AND I go from being away from home to being at home, turn on my porch light and unlock the door.  This is a small example of the power of Home Assistant and IoT/Smart Home devices in general.  So, here's what I am getting at.  You need to open your API.  Unless/until you do, and make your platform talk to many others, your marketing stategey to participate in this retail space is a dead end.  Did you know, that when I go to my local Lowes and look at the aisle where Lowes Iris devices are, I cannot buy an Iris hub?  Did you know there is not even a shelf space for them?  What the **edited**, guys?  C'mon.  To be honest, the only reason I haven't thrown your switches in the trash thus far is that they provide 15 amps which is something I need where they are.  Otherwise, they'd have been long since replaced by Sonoff, Quirky, GE, KMC, or Wemo which are a few of the IoT vendors whose products I use AND which products integrate with all my other stuff.  If I am missing something, please enlighten me.  But otherwise, you guys are developing a dead-end, soon to be discontinued product because you do not seem to understand your customer base.  Thanks for listening. 

2 REPLIES
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gotta be honest here...

I have all Iris 1st Gen equipment except the hub and intend to move to something more functional when I need to but for the limited use I put into my Iris system, it's OK for now. But, over the last 2 years, I've really jumped into the Amazon Echo - Alexa ecosystem. With Iris skills enabled, I can control my light switches and smart plugs so the extend my system a bit. I really like the fact that I can use my smart plugs to find out how much power a particular device is using. But overall, I'm not happy with the 2nd Gen Hub and interface, much preferred the 1st Gen. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Gotta be honest here...

I have over 40+ devices using and I saw ring came out with a DIY home secuity solution which I am honestly think of trying.

I love the automation but the lack of professional moniotring is huge for me and Iris has no clue if and when my area will be getting it.