cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-pairing a Philips Hue Bridge with its "children".

SOLVED
Highlighted
Tinkerer

Re-pairing a Philips Hue Bridge with its "children".

Since the demise of the Osram A19 Lightify products, I have resorted to Philips.  Much easier to setup and to tear down. BUT...I am currently having trouble re-pairing to an Iris Hub after force removing the bridge and each bulb entry on the Iris device list.  No explanantion of the proverbial "factory reset" in the Iris support section here on this site.  And a call to tech support this afternoon confirmed that explanation does not exist. Philips support was not around today (Sunday) when I called them as Iris support suggested.  As with any and all other "Works with Iris" devices, there is the need to remove all identifying embedded code in the hub and a forced off the network device of a prior pairing before being able to successfully re-pair that device to the hub (done it literally 100s of times).  I resorted to the factory reset of the Philips Hue Bridge (recessed 'paperclip reset button' on bottom of the bridge) and then added all the bulbs to the bridge simply by turning on all 13 bulbs and telling the bridge applet to find them.  To my surprise, it did so very quickly.  Just touch each entry and the cooresponding bulb will blink.  Then rename it.  Fine.  However, the Iris Hub was still unable to see the Bridge from 2 feet away while plugged into two adjacent ethernet jacks on the router.  HELP!!!  This is the only lighting arrangement Iris supports.  I hate being in the dark after having been successful in getting the Philips bulbs to be triggered by both Iris Motion Sensors and Iris Contact Sensors, instructed to do so using many different Iris Rules.  The Amazon Echo Dot Voice Service has successfully found all 13 Philips bulbs  with the Philips Hue Bridge now connected to its usual Netgear Extender Hot Spot connection upstairs where it is centrally located and all the Philips bulbs are seen and function by voice but not by Iris sensors and Rules. Not looking good here Iris. Just sayin'.

3 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Re-pairing a Philips Hue Bridge with its "children".

Hi Scott,

You should be able to re-pair your Hue bridge normally - put the Iris hub into pairing mode, press the button on the Hue bridge, and wait a few seconds. If this doesn't work after a few tries, PM me your hub ID and we can take a look at it from our end.

Thanks!

-Mike

Tinkerer

I would first need to move the Philips Hue Bridge back to the router from its usual location.  It is usually plugged into a wi-fi extender where it is more centrally located to the bulbs it controls due to shorter allowed distances between Philips devices compared to Osram bulbs.  The bulbs are currently being voice controlled by Echo Dots that can see them on the Philips Hue Bridge.  However, a call to tech support yesterday morning (Sarah I think her name was (?)) proved to be fruitless.  The bridge (confirmed by Philips tech support to have been sufficiently "factory Reset") and the hub could not be re-paired remotely.  The case has been passed up to the engineers. 

I also have two, not just one but both of my Halo Smoke & CO detectors, that report CO sensor issues when on Iris after having been re-paired, but have no problem when on Halo's site (moved back and forth several times).  One actually triggered the alarm, causing notifications, 3 times in about 5 hours back on New Years Eve day after being paired for about 20 hours.  It was disconnected from house wired AC 2 hours after being paired and spent the overnight out in my car due to constant beeping.  It actually re-paired itself to the hub after having been force removed, TWICE, on its own, under battery power.  I kid you not.  Could not be shut up because the back-up battery is hard wired in the device.  They too, are being further looked into by Iris engineers (Tyler). 

A total of 16 devices that cannot benefit from Iris devices triggering and Rules because they cannot be re-paired to the Iris Hub or have problems when they are paired to it.  Of course, all of the devices on the original hub were "orphaned" to the original hub when it failed.  They were all seeing the new hub for the first time.  The Philips Hue Bridge, had been successfully paired to the new hub.  However, it and its "children" were forced off the new hub after complication resulting from a 12 hour Internet service outage and the fact that the bridge' is attached to the above mentioned "hot spot" extender got involved. They are all now "orphaned" from the new hub despite the Bridge being factory reset and the bulbs re-paired to it.  All should be paired to the Iris Hub by simply pairing the the bridge itself the same way any other device and the hub are paired.  But.... 

The other 79 devices, including cameras, are doing fine on the new hub (a freebie when a device package was purchased last March) that was called into service after I plugged a 12v camera AC adapter into the 5v hub while attempting to get it within 10 feet of a hard wired GE switch to re-pair it to the hub, the orginal cause of my ordeal.  It was force removed from the netwok, probably rendered brain dead due to well below normal operating temperatures experienced nationwide this week.  Still have it and 3 other GE devices. all on exterior walls,  to re-pair when temperatures moderate some, perhaps later today.   Have gotten 2 successfully paired. 

The cause of hub's death was realized only after the 5v Philips Hue Bridge was also lit up with the same 12v AC adapter.  So much for industry standards on plug types relative to voltage and current outputs.  REMEMBER...The Iris Hub is only a 5v device.  12V AC adapters, unfortunately, will connect.  Didn't even get smoke...either time.

Tinkerer

The freebie Hub turned out to be the problem for both the Halo Smoke & CO Detectors and the Philips Hue Bridge.  Replaced the Hub and (in the process of) rebuilt the the network and both problems, a total of 16 devices affected, are all solved.  Lucked out...got the new Hub (in new logo packaging too) at a $15.00 promo discount.